What tools do I use to blog? I have a couple of different things that I pretty much use on a consistent basis for blogging. These are most of my physical tools for blogging.
– Pens and Pencils
– DSLR Camera & Accessories
– Blogging Platform
– Google Trends
How I use these tools:
Most of my blogging starts with my planner. I am currently filling up my new one for 2015. I write everything in pencil unless it’s something set in stone. There are certain blogging link ups that I like to participate in (Fandom Friday) and I also set a schedule for my Sponsor posts. If I am reviewing a product, I am giving a limited amount of time to try, review, and post about it. These are the kinds of posts I will write in pen. They are deadlines that have to be met. Everything else is written in pencil because they are subject to changing. I have goals for each week of things I’d like to get done and I write them in order of highest to lowest priority.
My pretty laptop
This is obviously my most important tool. It’s a PC and is something I had built from scratch. It is a gaming laptop and is where I do most of my gaming (#pcmasterrace). I’ve taken the Tetris stickers from my December lootcrate and spelled out “The Nerdy Fox”. I think it’s cute and a fun way to represent my blog. My tablet and phone are used as ways to keep ideas, ways to keep up on other blogs when I’m not at the computer and a way to monitor my social media pages. My camera is used for pictures, obviously and is something that I am planning on using more throughout 2015. Yay photography!
My Digital Tools:
Depending on what kind of picture I am going to be editing, I use photoshop and/or lightroom and a lot of the time, I use both. My blogging platform is currently blogger but I am hoping that is going to change when I renew my domain. I’d like to be completely switched over to wordpress by July of this year. Hootsuite is where I schedule my twitter posts. I take some time each month and schedule my follow Friday and sponsor Saturday posts and I can add more people to them as the month goes on. I also take some time each week to review what is scheduled and add the posts from the week on there. Google trends is something that I’ve just started using. it’s a way to check keywords and how they’re trending. It’s helpful to drive more traffic to your blog.
What are YOUR blogging tools?
Support my loot crate addiction!
Follow Me On:
When I started this blog, I had a very specific idea of what I wanted and as I’ve blogged more and more over the last 8 ish months, it has changed. While I really enjoy video games reviews and things of that sort, I obviously don’t just want to blog about that. It’s kind of been a struggle to stick to such specific things that I want to blog about and as a result, I have been creating less content.
So, I’ve decided to make a few changes to my blog.
- I’ll be focusing more on all things nerdy – not just video games. While I still be reviewing games and things of that sort, it’s not going to be my main focus (not that it has been for awhile…) Nor is the video game industry in general. I love video games but there is only so much I can write about them. I love such a wide variety of nerdy things that I think that I can still write about video games as well as comics, books, movies, tv shows, pop culture and fashion and even some cooking. I don’t want to feel bad about not putting out as much video game related content. So, basically, this is going to become more of an all-encompassing blog while maintaining a nerdy theme.
- I am going to include more of my photography. Photography is something that I’ve loved for a long time. I have such fond memories of my Grandpa with his camera and even at a really young age it inspired me to be a photographer. He was always so supportive of it. He was an amazing man and mastered the selfie before it was a thing. I regret not really pursuing it… I took photography classes in high school and I switched my major from Art History to Photography but I never took school seriously when I was there so I feel like I really missed an opportunity. While I’m not amazing, I’m pretty dang good and it is something that makes me really happy and I like sharing my pictures with people. I’ve come a long way since I got my first DSL and I have learned a lot but still have a lot to learn.
- I am going to be participating in a few challenges over the next year and to hold myself accountable, I’ll be posting about them here. Don’t worry, they’re nerdy things! When I write my blogging goals for 2015, I’ll share what specific challenges I’ll be participating in and hopefully, I inspire you to do some of them!
- This is a for-profit blog and as such, I will be keeping my monthly sponsors and still be working with various backer programs. My goal has always been to be a full-time blogger and I feel as though that in order to acheive that goal, sponsors and ads are the way to go. I’ve reduced the ads and am considering taking down adsense but I am still on the fence about that. I’ll make the final decision when I start to big move over to wordpress (I’m waiting until I have to pay for my domain again). I would love to hear your opinions about it!
In reality, not much is changing, I’m just going to feel less guilty about not putting out as much video game content and I’ll be sharing more pictures.
Let me know what you think about ads and sponsors in the comments below!
Support my loot crate addiction!
Follow Me On: