I wanted to share my tips that help me maintain my hair colorful and healthy.
1) Healthy hair is happy hair – You have to bleach your hair in order to get to hold the unnatural colors. Deep conditioner is going to be your friend. And oils. I personally use Argan Hair Mask and this Argan Oil. I try and deep condition my hair fairly regularly. *Tip*- Do not bleach your hair, deep condition and then try to dye it a pretty bright color. Your hair needs to be porous in order for the color to stay. I deep condition right after I have colored it.
2) Dye – When I am applying a bright color, I leave it on my hair for at least 3 hours, if not longer. It sounds crazy, but it really gives your hair a chance to soak up all the brightly colored goodness. The bright colored dyes don’t damage your hair, so you can leave them in for long periods of time. The bottle says 20 minutes (or something along those lines) which you can do, but chances are it is going to wash out pretty quickly.
3) Rinse – Rinse with cold water. Always. The colder the better. It sucks, I know. But it keeps the color in longer. Avoid swimming pools and keep your hair as dry as possible all the time.
4) Shampoo/Conditioner & Style – I don’t wash my hair everyday and when I do wash, I use sulfate-free shampoo. I also add a little bit of hair color to my conditioner so it’s getting some color each time I wash my hair. I don’t really use any styling products in my hair and I try to avoid heat styling. When I blow dry, it’s on the lowest heat setting and I will use a heat protection spray.
5) Sunlight & Weather – The sun is bad for your hair. Avoid prolonged exposure to it. I am a big fan of sunhats and wraps when I know I am going to be outside for a long period of time. I also cover my hair if it’s windy or cold. My hair gets dry over the winter and so I need to take extra care of it. Luckily, I love hats and they’re my best friend during the winter months.
6) Other Information – I use this boar bristle brush. Boar bristle brushes naturally condition hair. They also reduce frizzies and improve your hair texture. Now, if you use it too much, it’ll make your hair oily, but I try and use it every couple of days. It seems to really help. I also take biotin daily.
Side Note: People have very strong opinions about colorful hair. This never was a problem for me in Salt Lake but now that I live in a smaller town, people definitely have opinions about it. Not all of them are nice. It isn’t uncommon for me to go to the store/out and have people comment on it. Usually, it’s a cute little one that is excited but it can also be a not-so-nice adult that will make a rude comment about it. At the end of the day, I love my hair and so what they think doesn’t really matter to me.
I hope these tips help!
Do you have colorful hair? Let me see in the comments below! 😀
Support my loot crate addiction!
Follow Me On: