This is a subject that I’ve talked about relentlessly with various people. It seems that in every single multi-player game I’ve played, the fact that I’m female gets brought up and it ends with some sexist or rude comments. When it comes to “equality” in the gaming community, I feel like we’re still in the dark ages. Why can’t we all just be “gamers”? Honestly, I could care less about gender/race/age/sexual orientation/whatever, I just want to play with other people and have a good time. I think that most gamers would agree with me on that. Now, I understand that people get really into games and that name-calling and things of that sort happen. That’s not what I’m talking about at all. I’m talking about the blatant sexism that happens.
Without further ado, I give you my list of things you should never say to a female gamer:
- “It’s so hot that you play video games.” “Pics pl0x?” “Are you hot??” I’m actually not playing for you to find it appealing.
- “You’re not bad… for a girl.” Talk about a back-handed compliment.
- “I was going easy on you.” “I let you win.” Sure you did. It’s always annoying when someone automatically starts acting differently as soon as they find out you’re a girl.
- “Really? You play video games? Like what?” The doubt is annoying. I’m assure you that I’m not lying just to impress you.
- “Did your boyfriend get you into gaming?” I’m not saying that every girl gets into gaming on her own, but I promise that we don’t just do things because our significant others wants us to.
- “If you game, tell me about this obscure fact on this obscure level of some game. Oh, you can’t? FAKE NERD ALERT!” Really? Just stop this. Right now.
- “If you don’t want to be called out as a female, don’t use such a ‘girly’ tag!” Some people actually enjoy the RP factor of games. Also, what about the guys that have ‘girly’ tags or vice versa?
- “If you don’t like the female characters option, just play a male.” Again, some of us like the RP factor of games. I’m not saying that there shouldn’t be options for the bikini style armor or anything like that… I’m just saying that I should get to have more options than just the bikini armor.
- “Shouldn’t you be in the kitchen?” The sexist clichés category really gets under my skin. You may think it’s funny but in reality, it’s not. It paints you as a chauvinist and it instantaneously makes me like you less.
- “You must be a fat/ugly [insert rude adjective] [expletive].” Why? Because I play games and automatically any girl that plays video games is fat and/or ugly? Don’t start name calling because you’re insecure.
- “Do you need help?” “Do you want me to level all your characters for you?” “Here is half of my gold!” “Marry me!!” This one seems like a weird thing to complain about but, it’s condescending. If I need help, I’ll ask for help. Please stop treating me differently because I’m a woman!
- “Will you dress up as [insert character here] for me?” Hmm… No, probably not going to do that for you. Also, that’s a creepy thing to say to someone.
- “How did you win?!” Um, skills?
- “Can I add you? PLEASE??” If the only reason is because of my gender, absolutely not.
- “I heard you’re an epic mount.” “Nice skirt you’re wearing, what’s the drop rate?” “If I was a NES cartridge, would you blow me?” Gaming pick-up lines just make me want to vomit. There is nothing appealing or clever about them… most of the time it’ll just end with us laughing at you.